What is eduroam?
- eduroam (education roaming) is a secured WiFi network service that allows students, faculty and staff to use their home institution’s WiFi credentials to access WiFi network services, when visiting other eduroam participating institutions—without having to set up a guest account.
- eduroam is offered in more than 50 countries throughout Europe and Asia, as well as the United States*, and Canada.
- With hundreds of thousands of WiFi access points sharing a common SSID, eduroam acts as one large, world-wide, wireless hotspot.
How do I use eduroam?
A valid Bucknell email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Bucknell password are required to connect to eduroam.
To prepare to use eduroam while traveling, connect to eduroam on the Bucknell campus. This will save you time, as it verifies your WiFi-enabled device is properly configured to use eduroam when you need it.
- Select the eduroam WiFi network.
- When prompted, enter your email address including the @bucknell.edu (e.g. email@example.com)
- When prompted, enter your Bucknell password.
Once you have done this, if you can see and select the eduroam WiFi network when you are visiting another institution, you should be able connect for network access.
Note: While you’re connected to the eduroam WiFi network at Bucknell, your machine will be placed on a network that is separate from the main university network. There may be some Bucknell resources that are not available to you on the eduroam network.
Note: If you have a Bucknell account, do not use eduroam while you are on the Bucknell campus. If you try to use eduroam with a Bucknell account while you are at Bucknell, you will see this notification:
ATTENTION: THE PURPOSE OF THIS NETWORK IS TO PROVIDE INTERNET ACCESS TO OUR ACADEMIC PEERS ON THE EDUROAM NETWORK. ACCESS TO BUCKNELL RESOURCES IS RESTRICTED, REGISTERED BUCKNELL USERS SHOULD SWITCH TO OUR REGULAR NETWORK (bucknell.edu) FOR ACCESS TO ON-CAMPUS RESOURCES.
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: edu roam, eduroam,Wireless