The Bison Laptop Program provides guidance and direction for your laptop buying decision. It’s designed to clarify that decision by providing you with all the information you need to make the choice that works well for you in your time at Bucknell.
We recognize that you have a tremendous number of choices for a laptop for school. You might already have a laptop that you used in high school. But now you need to know what you need at Bucknell.
Here’s what we recommend:
- If you want to use a Windows computer: Buy a Lenovo ThinkPad (we have recommended models here)
- If you want to use a Mac: Buy the Mac you’d like, but understand that our support model varies by machine (read details here)
- If you want to use something other than a Lenovo ThinkPad or a Mac, understand that we offer no hardware support (software only)
- If you wish to learn more about warranty information, see this article.
We have Lenovo- and Apple-certified technicians on-site, so we can do warranty work on Lenovo ThinkPads and Macs. We can supply on-site parts for our recommended Lenovo ThinkPad models for quick warranty service and we can supply loaner laptops for Lenovo ThinkPads and all Apple models while we service your computer.
Notes to consider:
- Only Lenovo ThinkPads come with Accidental Damage warranty coverage that includes drops and spills (Apple does not offer this coverage)
- All Lenovos are not ThinkPads – the consumer IdeaPad line is not recommended
- Most MacBook Pro Retina Display and MacBook Air repairs will need to be sent to Apple
When to buy your laptop
If you don’t already have a laptop, we recommend waiting until June-July in order to take advantage of any Back-to-School offers from Apple or Lenovo, and to extend any warranty coverage as far as possible into your time at Bucknell.
How to buy your laptop
- Lenovo site for recommended ThinkPad models
- Buy your Mac online or from any Apple store or other retailer [Back to school promotion – free Beats wireless headsets with purchase!]
Lenovo recommended models (purchase here)
- T460s 14″ ultrabook – 3 pounds, i5 processor, 8gb RAM, 256gb SolidState hard drive, 3 year Accidental Damage and battery warranty – $1142 more details here . . .
- ThinkPad 11e – rugged 11.6″ laptop, i3 processor, 8gb RAM, 128gb SolidState hard drive, 3 year Accidental Damage warranty – $689 more details here . . .
Answers to some of your Frequently Asked Questions
- Warranty and service information – vital details on how the support model varies, depending on which laptop you bring to campus
- What laptop should I buy for my major?
- What should I bring to campus? (and what should I leave at home?)
- Information for Faculty and Staff
- Information for Early Decision students
- Back it up!
Shipping to campus: If you need to have your laptop shipped to your campus address, this is the address you’ll need to use. You can find your Campus Box number when you log into MyBucknell.
Student Name, Bucknell University, 701 Moore Avenue, C####, Lewisburg, PA 17837.
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: computer, store