Setting up web pages on the Engineering web server involves logging into a Linux system, creating the necessary directory, and changing some permissions on the files and directories you create so that the web server can access your web documents. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Login to a Linux server (such as linuxremote1.bucknell.edu) and open a terminal window
- Create a directory called public_html:
- Change the permissions on your home directory:
chmod go+x ~
- Change the permissions on your public_html directory:
chmod go+rx ~/public_html
- Place your web files (HTML documents, images, etc.) in this public_html directory. Make sure to change the permissions on web content:
chmod 644 file.html image.jpg
After following these steps, your documents should be available at either/both:
(where username is your Bucknell username and file.html is the name of the HTML file you create).
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: web development