Bucknell’s VPN secures your traffic while you’re online and can provide some access to Bucknell resources that you would not otherwise have if you’re off campus. Here are a list of reasons why a Bucknell student or staff person might use the VPN:
- Remote desktop to a Bucknell computer
- Access MatLab (staff only – students do not need the VPN)
- Access some Administrative Systems, such as Ascend, Banner, etc.
- Access Bmail from locations that block access to Google
- Print to university-owned departmental printers (staff only)
Sometimes people connect to the VPN in the mistaken belief that it is required in order to access some services. The VPN is not needed for the following services:
- Library resources and databases – all accessible after logging in to the library through myBucknell
- Netspace – accessible through secure FTP for both Mac and PC
- Print to webprint – students can simply email documents as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or email@example.com.
Keywords: vpn, virtual, private, network, cisco, anyconnect