Moodle allows you to create groups of students in a course – for example, students in a particular lab section (within a larger course). You can then restrict an assignment so that only a particular group can see (and submit to) that assignment. Please note that this is not the same as a “group assignment” where students are divided into work groups, and a single student in the group submits one assignment for all members of the group. The scenario we are describing pertains to a larger course, in which you create sub-groups (for example, two different sections of the same course) and restrict an assignment so that only members of that sub-group can see the assignment and submit a paper to it.
Here’s how you view the assignments submitted by a particular group:
- Log in to Moodle at http://moodle.bucknell.edu.
- Click on the link for your course in the Current Course List module on the right-hand side of the page.
- We are assuming in this article that you have already created an assignment and restricted it to a particular group. Scroll down in your Moodle page to the topic block that contains the assignment, and click on the assignment link:
- By default, Moodle will display all participants in the course, rather than just the particular group to which the assignment was restricted. To view the submissions from the appropriate group, click on the group drop-down near the top-left of the page (just above “Grading summary”), and select the group by name. After a brief pause while Moodle reloads the page, click on the "View all submissions" button:
- Moodle will list only the students in the selected group, along with the files the students submitted and the date/time of each submission. You can click on the link for a file to download the actual document, or you can click on the button to see a PDF version of the submission, along with a grading interface.
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or email@example.com.
Keywords: Moodle, assignment, group, view, grade