This article will guide you through the steps required to start using Bucknell University Remote Labs (VMware Horizon). You can access VMware Horizon either through your browser or a client from your own desktop. The first 14 steps apply to any applications on VMware Horizon, while the remaining steps are specific to Minitab. Minitab is an example of an application you may have access to.
Please note that graphics-intensive applications that are hosted through VMware Horizon (e.g., SolidWorks, ArcGIS) will only be accessible via the desktop client. Additionally, the VMware Horizon Client will run only on Mac OS version 10.11 or higher.
- Go to Download VMware Horizon Client for macOS.
- Next, click on “Download”, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Once the download has finished, run the client installer. If you are using Chrome or Firefox, click on the installer to run it. If you are using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to run the installer.
- After you have read the Privacy Agreement and License Terms, click “Agree”.
- Click and drag the VMware Horizon Client icon to the Applications folder shortcut. This will install the client to your computer permanently.
- Then, double-click on the Applications folder shortcut, scroll down to the bottom of the window, and double-click on the VMware Horizon Client icon.
- A window will appear asking if you want to open the application. Click “Open”.
- In the following window, click “Continue”.
- Authenticate with the username (usually your Bucknell ID, e.g., xyz012) and password associated to your computer. Then, click “OK”.
- Another window will appear, saying “System Extension Blocked”. This is normal behavior. Click “Open Security Preferences”.
- In Security Preferences, click “Allow”, and return to the VMware Horizon Client application.
- Close the VMware Horizon Client. If you are prompted for a license server at this point, hit ‘Cancel’ and go to step 13.
- Go to https://www.bucknell.edu/remotelab. Follow the instructions on the page.
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Minitab, VDI, virtual, desktop, infrastructure, Mac, VMware, Horizon, Client