This article will guide you through the steps required to start using Bucknell University Remote Labs (VMware Horizon). You can access VMware Horizon either through your browser or a client from your own desktop. The first 14 steps apply to any applications on VMware Horizon, while the remaining steps are specific to Minitab. Minitab is an example of an application you may have access to.
Please note that graphics-intensive applications that are hosted through VMware Horizon (e.g., SolidWorks, ArcGIS) will only be accessible via the desktop client. Additionally, the VMware Horizon Client will run only on Mac OS version 10.11 or higher.
- Go to https://bu-remotelab.bucknell.edu/, and click on “Install VMware Horizon Client”.
- You will then be taken to the following webpage. Scroll down, and under “VMware Horizon Client for Mac”, click on “Go to Downloads”.
- Next, click on “Download”, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Once the download has finished, run the client installer. If you are using Chrome or Firefox, click on the installer to run it. If you are using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to run the installer.
- After you have read the Privacy Agreement and License Terms, click “Agree”.
- Click and drag the VMware Horizon Client icon to the Applications folder shortcut. This will install the client to your computer permanently.
- Then, double-click on the Applications folder shortcut, scroll down to the bottom of the window, and double-click on the VMware Horizon Client icon.
- A window will appear asking if you want to open the application. Click “Open”.
- In the following window, click “Continue”.
- Authenticate with the username (usually your Bucknell ID, e.g., xyz012) and password associated to your computer. Then, click “OK”.
- Another window will appear, saying “System Extension Blocked”. This is normal behavior. Click “Open Security Preferences”.
- In Security Preferences, click “Allow”, and return to the VMware Horizon Client application.
- A window will prompt you for the name of a Connection Server. Type in “bu-remotelab.bucknell.edu”. (To launch VMware Horizon applications more quickly in the future, check the box labelled “Always connect at launch”.) Then, click “Connect”.
- Enter your Bucknell credentials, and click “Login”.
- Then, double-click the Minitab icon.
- Before you proceed, go back to the VMware Horizon Client. You will see a window asking to share contents of your computer’s home folder. (Leave checked the box labelled “Do not show this dialog again”.) Click “Allow”.
- You are now ready to begin using Minitab!
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Tech Desk at 570.577.7777 or email@example.com.
Keywords: Minitab, VDI, virtual, desktop, infrastructure, Mac, VMware, Horizon, Client