Bucknell requires the use of a secure FTP program in order to access Netspace from off campus. We recommend using NetSarang Xftp. This article describes how to configure Xftp to connect to Netspace.
- Download Xftp from http://www.netsarang.com/download/free_license.html
- Choose Xftp for the free secure FTP client. You’ll have to provide your email address and then the link to the installer will be emailed to you.
Once downloaded, double click on the installer. When prompted, be sure to choose the Free for Home/School option.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Click Next, Next, and Install. Click Finish to complete the installation.
- When Xftp opens for the first time, you’ll see a window prompting you for sessions. Click on the New in the top left corner.
When prompted, give your new session a name that you recognize, like Bucknell Netspace.
- host: ftp.netspace.bucknell.edu
- protocol: SFTP
- username: Your Bucknell username
- password: Your Bucknell password
- Click on the Options tab across the top.
- In Options, you can choose your initial folders. These are the locations where you’ll want your session to automatically open. The default for the local folder (the one on your computer) is your desktop, but if you want to change it, click on the . . . on the Local folder line and navigate to your preference. If you want the initial folder to be your public/private space on Netspace, use/netspace/facultystaff or /netspace/students in the format as shown in the image, then click OK.
- If you’re using SFTP to connect to your department’s X drive, use /netspace/departments/departmentname.
Click Connect to open the session. There is a checkbox that allows you to always see this dialog box when you open Xftp.
When prompted to accept the host key, press Accept & Save.
Once connected, you have a standard FTP window, with your local connection on the left, and your remote connection on the right. Drag a file to the left to download it to the desktop, or highlight the folder and click on the left arrow on the toolbar to download it.
Keywords: ftp, netspace, sftp,Windows